Three NSTs in A Week and a New Delivery Date

This was an unusual week in that I had three NSTs, only one of which was in my OB office, one of which was originally scheduled, one of which was rescheduled to a new time and location due to results at another medical appointment, and one of which was a special follow up.


My first appointment was with Dr. W. As I mentioned to the nurse that my tailbone was a bit sore at the last NST from how I positioned, she had me try laying on my side. It was comfortable for most of the test, yet I ended up sitting up at the end. The test results were great with the baby moving a lot to get good readings.

Dr. W emailed me after the visit to tell me to stop taking my baby aspirin to prepare for my upcoming C section, a week earlier than Dr. G had recommmed, and which I followed.

My second appointment of the week was for my 36 week growth scan. The technician worked quickly. At this stage the baby’s organs are hard for most nonmedical professionals to determine what they are, like the stomach below. The baby our his or her hands up over their face so we were not able to get a good 3D shot.

My blood pressure reading at the beginning was high in particular the bottom number was high. So we redid one it on both arms and it was high again on the right side, this time over 90. If they had not had these additional results I would have just gone to my regular NST and as I had already done my urine protein test for the week, they would not have found something of significance until my next NST with a urine test on Tuesday.

As today they did the extra blood pressure tests and had the high results, instead I was directed downstairs to Labor and Delivery to have bloodwork and a NST done so they could do it right after my high readings.

While there I had my first NST with having blood pressure readings every 15 minutes. Many were in target range, though one was too high with the bottom number at 94, which blinked and sounded an alarm.

This along with my protein measurement caused an official diagnosis of preenclampsia. My c section date was moved up two weeks to Monday when I will be 37 weeks. I was also directed to come to L and D today to get an extra NST.

Just in case they needed to admit me today, I finished packing my hospital bag and our mine and the one for baby in our car. I made sure to include Sophie the Giraffe which many moms have recommended.

We listened to I Heart Radio’s 90’s channel en route. The last song was “I’m Coming Out” to which I told our baby to not get any ideas. I wore my Nikki Bella Fearless shirt which the nurses admired and said they needed to get.

I was positioned on my side and told I’d they got good movements I would be going home today. My blood pressure was also taken every 15 minutes.

There was a much bigger range in my blood pressure readings including this one the lowest I’ve had all pregnancy.

There were no readings in high range and with good movements I was discharged to return on Monday for baby’s delivery.

The nurse took our photo of this my last NST before our baby’s birth.

~ Danielle


45 year old mother to our infant son, William, with my husband, Matt. We live in California with our mischievous cat, Inky. I love our local sports teams (Go Giants! Go Sharks!), photography, the beach, WWE, reading and now spending lots of time as a family with one kid and one cat.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: